+ Reply to Thread
    Blog Entries

Study Google Image Search (how to find your stolen photos)

Thought I would post this to help those of you who are concerned with your images that you post anywhere on the internet and find them being stolen and posted elsewhere without your permission.
    Don't ever feel privileged that someone likes your image enough to even steal it. I have heard many in the past say when I told them one of mine was stolen, "gee, wish someone liked my images enough to want to steal them"

Some that take your images do not actually know the rules of copyrighted images on the internet, so be sure when you find a way to contact them, you are polite to let them know your images are copyrighted and ask to either take the image down or let them know your fee for image usage. Every image you take by clicking the shutter, makes them your copyrighted photo. They don't have to be registered with the copyright office to be copyrighted images.

==============================================

Now that Google has opened up "Google Image Search" which in my opinion is heads above all better than Tineye that never seemed to catch up with any of my images that have been posted on the internet, it's become a lot easier to find your work.

First, you need to install the browser plugin called "Who Stole my Pictures?"
    Click the screen shot below and it will take you to where you can download and install the plugin.
    This plugin makes it much easier to do a Google Image Search by just right clicking on any photo on the internet that allows right clicks.

When you do the install, you have up to 5 search engines to have access. I only checked the search options for Tineye and Google.
    Google Image Search not only finds your image, but also finds variations of your image along with images with the same basic color schemes.

Right click on any image and you will see the following selection "Who stole my pictures"

This was how I accidentally found Joe's image below since the colors were similar to one of my images I was searching at the time. I have since told Joe about this find and he now uses Google Image Search to locate his work taken without his knowledge.

Here are 2 examples of images stolen, one from Joe McBroom, the other will be from myself.
    Click on the thumbnail and it will take you directly to the Google search to show you how many times this image has been stolen and posted all over the internet. This doesn't mean the images were stolen from Bytephoto, since Joe has posted this image numerous websites in the past.

And one of mine. Most of the places they were posted were because the local visitor center licenses my photos, this one being one of them. But I did find websites that used my image without my permission, those websites have since taken my photo down at my request since they didn't want to pay me a even a small amount for usage
    If you click the image below, you will see all different places this image was used, even one I took of it framed and posted elsewhere.
    It also finds your same image if it was converted to black and white, or any smaller cropped version of your image.

Last edited by RTaylor; Jun 29th, 2012 at 12:49 PM.
    Pbase.com/ReflectionsbyRuth
    Facebook.com/ReflectionsbyRuthPhotography
    ReflectionsbyRuth.com
    Facebook.com/Bytephoto

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the article and in info of the plug in.... I does work very well.

But beware...... It will frustrate the crap out of you when you start chasing these thieves down.

I have hundreds to chase down........ I just pick a couple a day..... It is a mess..... If you do not share images then you do not sell them and get future work.......and if you do share them they get stolen....Damned if you do.....damned if you don't

Thanks again Ruth

Blog Entries
    I agree, its frustrating. I think we still need to chase them down even if it takes a while.
    At least we are letting people know that we DON'T want our images stolen.
    Blogger is usually good about taking images off. Some websites want you to reply in their given scripted words as to what was stolen and proof it is yours.
    I have had some take it off within 5 minutes of me sending the email.

What I started to do was I created an album over on PBase called "Stolen Photos"
    Every time I found a photo stolen, I would copy it into that folder. It also helped me track what I found and what I still needed to write about having it taken down.
    Funny thing was, some of the images I placed into that folder, have since come down off the websites without me contacting them yet. I think they must be checking my website and see an image they know they stole and took for granted it was placed their only because of them lol
    ReflectionsbyRuth.com
    Facebook.com/Bytephoto

I downloaded it but didn't know what to do with it and couldn't open. . .a dead end. How do I install?

Ok I installed it. I can't find it though. Where do I go and what do I do next, please?

Suzan
    Last edited by ImKayd1; Sep 2nd, 2012 at 01:49 AM.
    AKA "Runs with Scissors"

"Hug a Tree" They have less issues than people.

Blog Entries
    Did you close your browser and reopen it? I think I may have had to do that.
    You only see the program when you right click on any photo, it should come up like the menu I showed above.
    Let me know if it works for you
    ReflectionsbyRuth.com
    Facebook.com/Bytephoto

What do you type in? Your name, images from or type? I installed it and sometimes see it but don't know how to search. Do you Google a place or what?Thanks for taking the time.Suzan

Blog Entries
    I don't type anything when I right click on any image (try my Autumn Fonthill photo in this post) the search option should come up in the right click menu. Then it uses that photo to do a search. It even found the files out there that I posted when I framed the same photo in different ways
    ReflectionsbyRuth.com
    Facebook.com/Bytephoto

Blog Entries
    PS: a little side tip
    You can also use this to find different companies that sell the same product but under different names, i.e., I'm looking for an area rug for my Print Office and went to the website I bought the same rug last year for our study on the 1st floor. Clicking on the image of the rug brought up a long list of other websites selling the same product but giving it a different title. Got a better price
    Wish I knew about Google Image search last year for this reason, but will now use it for other things.
    ReflectionsbyRuth.com
    Facebook.com/Bytephoto

Thread Information