+ Reply to Thread

Allow me to introduce myself

I'm Don. I worked as a professional many years ago in a processing plant, in newspapers, photo studios and selling photographic equipment.
    Somehow I found myself working as a techno-geek in an indusstrial setting. I din't like the idea of working in a factory, but I did stay rather long.
    Then I retired at age 70 and have returned to my first love.
    My first camera was a Brownie Hawkeye. Some of you elderly will remember it.
    Then I had a Mamiya twin lens and a pentax slr. I also had, among others, a Speed Graphic camera which I still own. I worked in darkrooms as a tech, sometimes printing enlargements, doing copy photos, running an immense B&W photo processor and also had my own darkrooms.
    My latest darling is a Nikon D5100. As an old timer who will be doing photography as a self employed journalist, this camera will suit me fine.
    I live with my wife of 51 years in a 208 year old timber frame house in a historic borough. no children, no pets, no debts.
    Life is good.

Best regards,
    Don
    You can't have everything. Where would you put it?

Blog Entries
    Welcome Don, nice to meet you my first camera was a Brownie too, it was a Christmas gift from my parents, forget what age I was, just remember being in gradeschool.
    Pbase.com/ReflectionsbyRuth
    Facebook.com/ReflectionsbyRuthPhotography
    ReflectionsbyRuth.com
    Facebook.com/Bytephoto

Welcome Don! So glad to see other Brownie users. My first, at age 5, was a Baby Brownie, and two years later, I'd saved the $11.00 needed for a Hawkeye. Do you remember the smell of the flashbulbs?

Looking forward to seeing your work.

Cheers,
    Kay Beausoleil

Actually, I do remember the smell of the spent flashbulbs. I have one unused flash bulb for my Speed Graphic, too. It's the size of a hundred watt bulb. Sometimes I couldn't get two in my jacket pocket. With one in each pocket I appeared to have some strange deformity. But then, with all the stuff we had to carry, nobody paid much attention to the shape of my coat.
    It was so good to move to 35mm cameras, but I kept my Speed Graphic in the trunk anyway.
    Regards,
    Don

Blog Entries
    I had forgotten all about the spent bulbs, I remember my Dad would always have tissues because the bulb was so hot that he could hold it no longer than a second.
    Pbase.com/ReflectionsbyRuth
    Facebook.com/ReflectionsbyRuthPhotography
    ReflectionsbyRuth.com
    Facebook.com/Bytephoto

Hello Don,
    I just purchase the Nikon D5100 about two0 months ago.I was preveously using an Olympus E-520.I am still trying to get use to my new camera.

Gershbunny,
    Yes, the D5100 has so many features it takes time to understand and use them.
    It can be used simply in the full auto mode (the green symbol on the top dial).
    I would strongly recommend the book "David Busch's Nikon D5100" You can order it online through Amazon.
    If you do, though, scroll down through the list of other vendors and you'll find Busch's own store. Same price, timely delivery and he autographs the book. I also got his Compact Field Guide for the Nikon D5100. It fits nicely in your camera bag. The other book is to big for that.
    Regards,
    Don

Thread Information