PDA

View Full Version : Congrats Kevin / ISpy, 2010 Overall Photo of the Year

RTaylor
Mar 15th, 2011, 11:10 AM
It was a tough decision by our members, because every image in the finals had a valid reason for becoming overall photo of the year.

Congratulations to Kevin / ISpy :clap2: Fellow Bytephoto members finally chose your image "Rolling Fog - The Wall" as Overall Photo of the Year :1st:

To view all results, follow this link (There were 46 votes) ... Click to see voting results (http://www.bytephoto.com/forums/poty-boc-contest-finalist-voting/8989-vote-photo-year-2010-a.html)

2010 Overall Photo of the Year

http://www.bytephoto.com/photopost/data/974/POTY-2010-Scenic.jpg

Below are comments from members of why they voted for Photo of the Year.
==================================================

http://www.bytephoto.com/forums/images/frontpage/BOC_500/IMG_0461_byte_.jpg
“Rolling Fog - The Wall” by ISpy • Scenic / Nature

Magnificent shot, Perfect timing of the fog rolling in. Perfect composition Love the shape of the fog almost looks like a mountain of snow. I like how a small section of the landscape where the light has broken through the fog. Truly love the black and white photograph. Why I think this should win is because moments like this are very rare. You have to be there at the right place and time.

For me this image satisfies all the criteria that makes a winning photo. First, it catches and holds my attention. The lighting invites my eye to enter the scene and explore. The composition is strong in that it forces me (in a good way) to look at all areas within the frame and linger to study the subtleties. I find balance in the image and in the mood that is implied. The tones are expertly controlled and transition smoothly from white to Black.

Kevin's photo spoke the most to my imagination, understanding of nature, and the perfect moment. All were captured in a few seconds of time and shared with us.

I am voting for this image not because I adore B&W photos. I like it for the outstanding composition & lighting. Likewise, the whole image itself is unique and can hardly be duplicated.

I vote this image because I've never seen a scene like that and also the timing is so good. Well done!

http://www.bytephoto.com/forums/images/frontpage/BOC_500/hrowan_42_1.jpg
“Surfing Seaside” by HRow • People / Journalism

The action in this shot is what stood out over the other great entries for me. The shot was perfectly composed with great light and beautiful color. Was this luck, planned or both. I don't know but for my two cents worth it's POTY.

An outstanding and hyper-dynamic action shot, with exceptional color.

This photo is rich and crisp in detail. Strikingly powerful showing energy in its raw form. Composition is perfect with the surf board pointing off in the top corner, surfer in the center with his hand trailing through the water from the bottom opposite corner. Congratulations winning the first round of photo of the year and hope it wins overall ratings.

This image is technically superb, with the green water, surfboard, and blue water creating the "thirds". The upward angle of the board throws even more energy into an already supercharged scene. The movement of the water, the white foamy spray, and the intense greens & blues grab my senses. The dip of the surfer's hand into the water conveys the impression that he really is of the water. The wonderful back-light contrasts beautifully with the darker foreground leaving the impression of a secret world. This image just explodes with life.

http://www.bytephoto.com/forums/images/frontpage/BOC_500/photosig_2.jpg
“Amanita Muscaria” by Stefan • Still Life / Macro

This Image takes me to a place I would have only dreamed of. That is what photography means to me. Amazing!!

This is simply a great composition, with wonderful warm light and colour and just the right depth of field.

I think the "Amanita Muscaria" should win because of the great composition. Great light on the mushroom which makes the red color stand out even more. Very sharp, beautiful green colors and love the mushroom which is not centered but a bit on the left side.

http://www.bytephoto.com/forums/images/frontpage/BOC_500/MG_0025-800w.jpg
“The Rains Come to Chobe” by Buddy4344 • Animals / Wildlife

My choice was made on the simple fact these exotic exotic African animals are threatened. I myself may never have the opportunity to make a shot like this. Images like this can help to show the world what we stand to lose if we don't get our act together.

All of the images are winners, and choosing just one is difficult. My choice for POTY would have to be this image in the Animals /Wildlife category. I love the expanse of the area, the majesty of the giraffe, and the glow of the clouds in that one spot. The dramatic sky and the composition of all these things come together to make it a very appealing image.

All the images are really great and it was hard to make a decision. I think this image is the best since it has both 'Animal life' and 'scenic' beauty in it and the colors and processing are excellent!

http://www.bytephoto.com/forums/images/frontpage/BOC_500/swatchentryrain2.jpg
“B E S T F R I E N D” by Eslwinshot • Black & White / Sepia

In all of the images who made it to the candidates in photo of the year, this image had a human touch and from it the story is very clear, that dog is truly man's best friend. Powerful image!

First of all, all the photos were really great, but for me there is just something extra special about B&W photos. There is a mystery and special artistry about B&W photos when you get the perfect shades of blacks and whites. I had a really hard time deciding between "Best Friend" and "The Fog - The Wall", which were my two favorites. The reason why I chose "Best Friend" is because of the great composition and the spontaneity of the child laughing with his best friend, a Yellow Lab dog (Labs have a very gentle temperament), under the umbrella covering themselves from the rain. The expression on the dog's face, with the drop of rain on it looking like a tear from his eye, as if he's thinking: "Woe is me, I don't want to get wet!" The photo makes me smile and makes my heart melt, which is something that we all need during these tough hardships that we are living through now-a-days.

I chose this because it is such a delightful candid and made me smile just to look at this happy young lad. The portrait inspired a positive happy emotion in me.

The images that made it to this point are all fantastic, they are all winners as far as I am concerned in terms of technical and artistic excellence. But to pick the best of the best, I think the intangibles have to be the deciding factors. For me, there is an emotional quality in this photograph that transcends technique and composition. This is a capture of the pure joy of a moment between a boy and his dog, his best friend. Yep, it may be corny, but I can feel the love in this one, therefore it's my pick.

I loved all the finalist, but this one made me smile as I looked at. The boys laugh is contagious, and the dog has the best face, both are very well exposed and the composition is fantastic. Congrats and good luck.

http://www.bytephoto.com/forums/images/frontpage/BOC_500/staircase2-800.jpg
“Spiral Staircase” by Gymnast46 • Abstract / Digital Art

If I recall correctly, it was between this one and the staircase that was cut in half. I kept going back and forth between the shots and finally landed on this one. They were both unique in their own way but I felt this one was "fresh and new" to me, and has a clear & clean almost minimalist look. Kind of a "less is more" thing.

I chose this image because of its simple yet dynamic composition that pulls the viewers eye right down to the center of the stairway. Congrats on a great capture and your BOC of the year win. Good Luck.

Marla
Mar 15th, 2011, 07:42 PM
Congratulations Kevin for a well deserved winner of the overall Photo of the Year! :1up:

Gymnast46
Rolling Fog - The Wall richly deserves to have been selected overall Photo of the Year! Congratulations Kevin. You've set a high standard. The rest of us have 12 months to try to dethrone you. :)

ImKayd1
This was very difficult. I didn't vote for this winning photo, not because I didn't like it but because I preferred another. Not one that was better, just different. As is, I was stumped for hours deciding. You were all great and ALLTook my breath away. Congratulations Kevin on this superior win.

Suzan

DmTanedo
Mar 15th, 2011, 08:37 PM
A well deserved win for you, Kevin. Congratulations on your POTY.

ISpy
Mar 15th, 2011, 11:08 PM
Thank you very much to everyone that voted! It was a shock to receive this news as I was not expecting to win this due to the other amazing photos I was up against. It is a true honour to receive this award. Thanks again!!

GBloniarz
Mar 15th, 2011, 11:24 PM
Congratulations Kevin! This depiction, one of the more powerful of forces that can be unleashed by mother nature, was captured with exacting and unbelievable perspectives and leaves us yet in wonder as to how one not only can anticipate, but be positioned in readiness, and from such a foreseeable point of view, as well! The cumulative impact of such an image is the quest of all wanting greatness in photography and we shall all be proud that you were the individual that brought us to it!

And to all near equally qualifying parties, hardy congratulations to you all as well!

Jerry

Eslwinshot
Mar 15th, 2011, 11:54 PM
Congratulations!!!

ISpy
Mar 16th, 2011, 12:02 AM
Remembering back to that day,.... I'd like to share with you all just how this photo came about. That fog bank is actually hiding the city of Calgary which is quite a bit lower than where I took the photo. Off to work early that morning, I decided to take my camera gear with me as the fog was so thick I figured a photo opp would present itself somewhere so I set out to take the long scenic route which took me outside the city limits traveling on higher ground with the city below.

The sun was high in the sky illuminating the edge of the fog and once I drove through it, the sight was amazing. The wall of this fog was moving very quickly across the farm land and I needed to drive quickly to a higher spot which overlooked the valley. Once finding my place to park along the road, I screwed on the 4 stop ND Hoya filter as the sun was so bright I needed to tone down the highlights. The exposure was set -2 and ISO's to 160, then ran to the edge of the fence and took the shot. I may have taken a dozen or so shots before the fog wall had moved along. The camera/lens I used was the 5dMII, 70 - 200 2.8

51Goldie
Mar 16th, 2011, 02:40 AM
Oh good - congratulations - this was my definate favourite from day one!

HRow
Mar 16th, 2011, 07:58 AM
Congrats Kevin, this is a superb shot that deserves to win. Of all your wonderful images, this was my favorite and just blew me away.

Ramona12
Mar 16th, 2011, 09:04 PM
Beautiful shot, really amazing! Congratulations!

Digimo
Mar 17th, 2011, 07:36 AM
Congratulations Kevin and thanks for telling us how this shot came about. You had a lot to think about to pull this off so superbly.

Gary

ParulMehra
Mar 19th, 2011, 04:52 PM
Congratulations, Kevin! This is an outstanding shot. Looks so dreamy and amazing. I have never seen a fog shot like this. When I saw this previously I was thinking about the place and the camera settings of course. The description you gave is really helpful. I congratulate you for this great achievement which is very well deserved.

Parul

ISpy
Mar 20th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Thank you for the added comments!

Ellen
Mar 20th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Congratulations, Kevin!!! Well deserved honor! : )

Buddy4344
Mar 21st, 2011, 06:42 AM
Kevin, Congratulations. Your image has an interesting mix of drama and serenity. An outstanding capture.

Buddy

Kalena
Mar 22nd, 2011, 12:47 PM
Many congratulations on your very well deserved win.:clap2::clap::2up:

AnnieS123
Mar 23rd, 2011, 01:38 PM
Congrats Kevin!!

ArmanTaylo
Mar 24th, 2011, 03:34 AM
Congratulations to all of the winners! You all deserve it!

Barb Frank
Mar 24th, 2011, 06:39 AM
Congrats to each of you on an outstanding photo..all well deserved....best wishes...barb

Myrle
Mar 27th, 2011, 02:30 PM
congrats to kevin on a wonderful win and to all the others who also came in first in their categories. All photos were fabulous and well deserved.

MdFraser
Apr 1st, 2011, 11:21 AM
Congradulations to everyone, especially Kevin. You're hard work gets our attention and provides pleasure to the eyes and imagination.

Redhead
Apr 1st, 2011, 09:01 PM
Congratulations to all for these wonderful photos