PDA

View Full Version : P850 slide copying

Don Butler
Sep 11th, 2007, 07:47 AM
I'm interested in seeing what other owners of the P850 are doing (if anybody IS doing it) about copying slides.

I'm a new member, so forgive me if this has been gone over before.

I have a large number of old Kodachromes and some Ektachromes, some as old as 45 years, that I'd like to digitize, but I wouldn't like to pay the freight fo a lab to do them.

Best regards,

Don

gtrgeorge
Sep 11th, 2007, 10:27 AM
Don: I presume you mean the Kodak P850 digital camera, yes?

I don't have that camera, but I have done slide copying with a gadget that goes on over the lens, using a Canon S2 IS with the lens adapter tube like the one for your P850, and with my digital SLR, it just goes right on the lens. It works pretty well; I think the results are quite good. Obviously, you would need a really good light source, and set the camera's white balance so the slides look right, but those things can be coped with. I like being able to zoom in on any portion of the slide I want. I once got a few slides scanned professionally and put on Kodak Photo CD, and aside from the fact that they scanned at much higher resolution than I could get out of the 6-megapixel SLR, they looked about the same as my files with the slide copier. Again, I think a lot depends on your light source, and how you set the camera.

I hope this helps.

GS

Don Butler
Sep 11th, 2007, 11:19 AM
Yes, I meant the P850 camera, sorry for not being more specific.

I figured that would be the way to deal with it. I was hoping someone was doing it with the model I have. Finding a copy attachment for this camera hasn't happened.

Thanks for your reply.

Don

gtrgeorge
Sep 11th, 2007, 11:35 AM
Don:

I looked up the P850 and there is a lens adapter tube/barrel type thing available; I presume you know about this.

If you have that, then you should be able to use the copier gadget. Hold on a moment...
- - -
I just tried searching ebay using "slide copier p850", and it took me right to them. They are all in the $55 range, with about $9 shipping, and they all include the adapter for the p850 camera, so you don't have to buy it. The one with the OPTEKA brand name is the one I bought.

If you like, I could scan some slides with it and send you the files so you can see how they look.

GS

Don Butler
Sep 11th, 2007, 11:46 AM
I would be gratified, indeed to see the files.

And, I appreciate your interest in this matter.

My email addy is:
don33butler@gmail.com

thanks again.

Don

gtrgeorge
Sep 11th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Don:

I'm posting and replying from work, so I won't be able to do it until this evening; I'll be back home about 9 PM (CDT). But I'll fire off 2 or 3 for you as soon as I can. I'm presuming you have a fast internet connection; I'd like to send you the full size files so you can see the real deal. They'll be about 2-3 MB JPGs each.

I had tons of 35mm slides, and although not all of them were worth digitizing, there were a good number, and it was a lot less expensive than getting them professionally done. Besides that, you get to do them just the way you want.

GS

Don Butler
Sep 11th, 2007, 12:25 PM
GS,

I do have a fast connection and I'd be glad to see the full size files.

I'll be waiting.

don