PDA

View Full Version : Archiving Data

famjad21
May 10th, 2006, 07:56 AM
There was a thread a few weeks ago about the best way to archive files.

I was at a seminar last night where the problem was discussed by a wedding photographer who needed a foolproof way to archive data. He uses eFilm Archival Gold Cd's and DVD's which are made with higher quality dyes and components; and he uses a Raid storage device with data scrubbing called the Yellow Machine (yellowmachine.com).

I pass this info on as it was of interest to many of you.

RTaylor
May 10th, 2006, 10:00 AM
thanks Frank,
I had seen those CD's on photographer edge website. I ordered some stuff from them for an upcoming show but they only listed the CD's and I wondered if they also had DVD's which I need, CD's are worthless to me since I use 1 gig cards.
I know the CD's were going for about $30+ for 5 I think. I dont have the catalog with me, its at home and I'm not :)
I'll check out the site you gave and could probably use it for ONLY those images I back up that I know I will sell, not just All my images, because I have way too much lol

famjad21
May 10th, 2006, 10:05 AM
Hi Ruth,

I just checked the delkin site:

http://www.delkin.com/products/archivalgold/scratcharmor.html

and there are DVD's.

Frank

RTaylor
May 10th, 2006, 10:03 PM
Thanks Frank, glad you found the site for me. I did a search and for whatever reason, that website didnt even come up in the search.
I figured I would only use DVD's like that for the Raw and tiff converted files of any picture I consider sellable or family archive work that I spent 10 years working on. would hate to lose that to bad CD';s :eek:
:)

RTaylor
May 10th, 2006, 10:12 PM
excerpt from the link you gave

While Archival Gold media has consistently shown it can safely store your images for more than 300 years, popular competitors didn't make it past 6 months.

Darn, I was hoping for 400 years :p :D

Do you think the DVD option will even be around in 300 years lol

Guess they just use that as a selling point. :)
Heck, if I live another 50-60 years then thats good enough for me. Dont think my images will end up in some museum lol :)
Can you tell I've been working too late every night the past 3 weeks on my printing etc, my brain is getting strange on me. :)

famjad21
May 11th, 2006, 08:06 AM
I'm glad you found the site. I've been thinking about getting the RAID system as an additional safeguard. I think a terrabyte is down to under a thousand.

RTaylor
May 11th, 2006, 11:06 AM
Not sure of your age, but I remember back in the early 80's when we thought a Megabyte was a big thing because all we knew was kilobytes lol. The first computer my brother owned was a Timex Sinclair and he upgraded it to 4k :p
WOW! LOL

I noticed the RAID system about $1,000
Thats out of my price range for now, but hopefuly it will drop considerably in the coming months.

famjad21
May 11th, 2006, 12:35 PM
I'm old enough to know better and too old to remember why.

My first computer was Trash 80 (16k) and I paid $1000 to put the first floppy drive on it (single sided) and get it up to 32k.

The Raid is a good idea for easy access and backup but the high quality DVD's seem like a necessity.

RTaylor
May 11th, 2006, 03:02 PM
LOLOL, my husband had the original Trash 80 too, but it was stolen from our garage back in 1985 :(
He was upset because he had seen the orginal untouched/non-upgraded like his in the Smithsonian Institute.
We had the Trash80 Model 3 with 2 360k floppies then we had an external Hard drive 5meg that we ran a Bulletin Board system from with a 300baud modem later upgrading to the superfast 1200 baud :p

Th DVD's do sound like a great option since you can easily take them offsite.

Remember life before a computer and all this money we would have had not spending it on computers and backups? :D