PDA

View Full Version : Canon-S1-IS, Kodak-DX-7590, Kodak-DX-7440

manojb
Jun 28th, 2005, 10:51 PM
Hi Guys,

I've narrowed down my reserach to 3 cameras (Canon-S1-IS, Kodak-DX-7590, Kodak-DX-7440).....I've searched on internet and these are the cons

Kodak-dx-7440 : Low optical zoom (ok for me)

Kodak-dx-7590 : No image stablization

Canon-S1-IS : very bad Indoor/lowlight focusing, EVF freezes, comes with alkaline batteries, too small LCD, bad focusing overall

Now my requirements are -

1) Family events/parties (mostly outdoor night, low light, low light indoor shots),

2) Sight seeing (mostly daylight shots of monuments, buildings etc, can be night shots too like of Times Square NYC),

I want to use automatic settings and my top priority is to get good shots in a variety of light conditions all at some automatic (without having to fiddle around with the complex settings, although I'll learn them later on). As for the 10x zoom, I'm just considering it for fun right now, but if the cams with zoom don't perform well in low light / bright light conditions in automatic mode then I'll leave them. I'm not planning to buy a tripod or do bird watching or do wild life shooting etc, my shots will be around family events, indoors and sight seeing types mostly.

Please suggest which one of the above 3 cams would be the best for these requirements.

Thanks in advance.

cbwetfish
Jul 6th, 2005, 07:33 AM
I really like my Kodak DX7590. It has taken some great shots in the automatic setting for me. For family and sight seeing I really think you'll be pleased. For more serious macro stuff, a tripod is necessary to avoid camera shake and blurry images.

Good luck!

manojb
Jul 6th, 2005, 08:15 PM
yeah kodak 7590 is a gr8 cam.....i was seriously considering it when i ran into this missing IS and blurred pics issue....i won't be carrying tripod most of the time so i'd to consider some other cam......also people say that panasonic products don't last long enough so had to decide between sony and canon......between sony dsc h1 and canon s2 IS i chose S2 as it seems to have more features overall, manual focus etc.....one bad thing about canon is the big movie sizes (9 min for 1 gb).....but well nothing is perfect i guess

Nov 11th, 2005, 06:04 PM
You sure have a wide varity of cameras you have got it down to. They are nothing alike at all. Well except they are all digital and all cameras. Each camera you named is very very nice in it's own right. All work very well with the options they have. I have a DX7590 and I'm a pretty steady shooter. I have no problems with the blurr untill I get into the digital zoom. I also have the KODAK P850. That is in the same league as the CANON S1IS and S2IS. I use the Oly TCON 1.7X teleconverter on the P850 and IS is then a must.