PDA

View Full Version : Kodak 6490 Wide Angle Lens

Jun 13th, 2004, 07:57 AM
Hi Everyone,

Has anyone tried the Lens Adapter and Wide Angle lens (.7)? The also have some Filters avaiable now.

bluwing

Jul 11th, 2004, 06:25 AM
Hi All,

Well since my last post I have found a wide angle and telephoto lenses for my Kodak 6490. the wide angle is .45 and the telephoto is 2x. I am waiting for them to arrive. I will post the results of them in my gallery. It also came with the lens adapter.

bluwing

JCW3
Jul 12th, 2004, 10:15 PM
This message may be comming a little late, but since you ordered them you will be able to do your own test.

10x or similar BIG ZOOM cameras are very picky when it comes to add on lenses. My experiance with wide angle lens is very small since I only own 1 WA lens.

But after owning over 10 differance teleconverters, I will be the first to admit that if you find a 2x that works good with that 10x, it will be one of the first I have heard.

2x lenses work well with smaller zoom ranges, but often cause distortion, PF, CA, corner softness, and many other problems. But again since its on the way you can test it out.

There are alot of good lenses on the market though, if you have any question I would be glad to recommend a few.

By the way what 2x did you order?

Jul 25th, 2004, 06:44 AM
Hi,

I wound up getting a Wide Angle .45 and a 2x telwphoto lens from digital optics with the lens adapter. I am waiting for them to arrive. I will post the results( Hopefully Good).

The only other maker of the lenses for the Kodak 6490 is Sakar. If the lenses don't do what I want i will have to bite the bullet and Get a DSLR....

Let me know what you think of the lenses that I wound up with...

Thank You,
bluwing

JCW3
Jul 25th, 2004, 06:34 PM
There is actually a few other manufactors that specialize in makeing teleconverters for 10x cameras. So say dont worry about Sakar being you only other choice...

THe wide angle may work, I have never heard of it being used with that camera, but its worth a try.

The 2x will work and you will be able to take photos, but digital optics are often plagued with CA, frosted corners, and focusing problems. But the you may be happy with the output, just most are not. That 2x lens is made more for smaller zoom cameras, and its probably the biggest Ebay "push-off" out there.

Good luck, but as I stated there are alot of other choices out there that will serve you well and may fit your needs better.

grig917
Aug 10th, 2004, 10:41 PM
Hi,

A couple of days ago for the first time I used the 0.7x wide angle lens of my DX6490 camera and was disappointed to see quite visible distortions towards the edge of the field at high zoom. The centre of the field is on focus. Are wide-angle lenses supposed to work that way the higher the zoom, the smaller the central portion of the field that stays in focus?

I am really quite inexperienced and any reference to a link (tutorial) on this and related topics will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Grig

jdcothern
Aug 15th, 2004, 08:18 AM
Why would you use zzom with a wide angle lens? I thought the object would be get as much wide angle as possible.

Sep 5th, 2004, 11:33 AM
Hi,

Well, I have put the 2x telephoto lens into storage. The Wide Angle lens is good.

I am looking at the newer version of the 6490. The 7590 has had a lot of features added to it. I really don't care if they upped it to 5 meg, But they did (just an added bonus).

The Idea of zooming with the Wide Angle lens just give you a wider shot thru the whole range of the zoom.

bluwing

Nov 11th, 2005, 06:14 PM
This is another old old thread. First the KODAK wide angle is outstanding (part number 1033323). The next lens that I like and use is the OLYMPUS TCON 1.7X teleconverter lens (pn 200862. Both really great lenes. KODAK is now selling a 1.4X teleconverter lens. I'm sure it will be of the highest quality. I also have from the KODAK site both of the B+W filters.